Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's New?

I cannot tell a lie.
This man has been on my mind.
For those of you too young to know, this is Tom Jones, a singer who rose to fame in the later 60's (mind you, I was a little girl!).
Really, I was young, which is why I was not into him at the time.
Oh, I liked his music, songs like "It's Not Unusual" and "She's A Lady."
But I was not into him, as a man.
At that time my whole world consisted of my mad passion for the Beatles and their boyishness, unlike Tom Jones, who was, well, as you can see, not very boyish.
He was too "manly" and I was too young to understand his sex appeal, unlike other women, who used to throw their panties at him while he romanced them onstage.
All these years later I became reacquainted with him and his music, which is when I found this picture.
Sigh.
It's all Janini's fault, my hurry-up-and-be-my-daughter-in-law.
Several days ago she came over and she was singing a line from one of his songs, "What's New, Pussycat?"
She would just sing that one line, really loud.
"WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT? WHOA, WHOA, WHOA."
Not that she's into Tom Jones.
She's just loves her cat, and cats in general.
I hadn't heard that song in ages, which made me think about it again.
And then I started thinking about the lyrics,
and how wonderfully sexy and enticing they are, along with the seductive passion in his voice.
It's a long story, but suddenly my passion for life, and the beautiful things in life, which had begun of late to grow dim, suddenly ignited with a burning flame.
Or maybe it was just be that picture.
Which, by the way, my daughter said was disgusting when I showed it to her, wiping the drool off my laptop screen.
When I also blasted away the song "What' New, Pussycat?" that I had just bought on iTunes, she told me to turn it off because that was also disgusting.
I know. There's that word.
But we'll forget about that.
Anyway, if it's bad that I'm obsessing about this man I'll blame it on Janini.
But look at him.
Can you blame me?
Of course, that was taken a long time ago.
He is so much older.
But, as is often true with men, even though he is now 70, he still handsome and sexy.
Now, is that unfair, or what?
But for now, I will go back to my art room, take out the sketches I've been working on, put "What's New, Pussycat?" to continually repeat on iTunes, as I think of him, and try not to drool all over my work.
'Til later,
Carol B.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, Carol. I have to LOL. It's interesting how physical/stylistic attractiveness changes with generations. My and your daughter's sensibilities find these late 60's/70's era hairy hunk pics unintentionally funny. But I can understand. I know my ex-gf had some similar pictures of Tom Selleck and David Hasselhoff hidden away somewhere. Who can protest a lady's occasional urge to purr? After all, She's a Lady.

julie king said...

LOL my older sister was totally into tom jones when we were in high school. i never got it at all altho i enjoyed his music. when i saw this photo on your blog i thought hmmmm, i don't remember him being THAT attractive. maybe for you and me he's like fine wine or gourmet coffee - it takes a while to be enamored with it. hee hee