Friday, July 9, 2010

ARE WE THERE YET?

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who has to keep tweaking my life, over and over, 'til I get it right.
I am sure this is not true, and yet I wonder if the powers that be are looking at their watches and saying, "ARE YOU THERE YET?"
I started a painting in my sketchbook a while back and then, later, coming back to it, I thought, this isn't so great after all.
So I decided to do what I would never do back in the day, and that is paint over it.
It was a wonderful thing to get to that point. Another hesitancy I got over.
I wish I had taken a picture of that painting, and how I painted over it, and all the layers of paint I did. That is my next thing I am learning, to keep my camera in my studio and take pictures of my work as I go. After all, if I really don't want to use them, I can just delete. I need to keep telling myself this until I remember.
So I painted over this painting and I did several layers, and I even went out of my comfort zone by using colors I don't usually use. I have been wanting to do that because I have found myself in a rut, not venturing out of my color zone, so I did and I really liked the results.
Then I got a Sharpie marker and quickly sketched out a face, because that's what I like to do.

Here's more of a close up. You can see all the multi-layers of colors underneath.

Then I put a foundation of color for the face.

And started to put in a little shading.

A little color to the lips (a girl's gotta have some juicy lipstick!) and the hair.

Finished filling in the hair.

I'm still going to play around with it some more.
Yes after all these layers, it's still not finished so I'm going to tweak it some more.
And yes, that's ok.
Hmmm.
So I am thinking how that is one of the most wonderful things about art.
If art is where your heart is, then it most certainly speaks to you and gives you the messages you need, in so many ways.
And that is, after all the layers and layers of my life, all the times I have started over and wiped out things and started again, is that ok?
Yes.
Can I keep working on it?
Yes.
Will I one day have something I love?
Yes.
And then I can start again.
And that's ok.
It's called Living Life.
Do the Colors of your Life continue to change?
Is it difficult because you fight it?
Or are you one of those people who can go with the flow?
Hoping you have a wonderful weekend!
Carol B.


2 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

oh I like this one a lot!!
Very good idea also to go out of your comfort zone. Maybe do the complete opposite of what your mind tells you.

♥ Maria-Thérèse blog.afiori.com

Carol B. said...

Yes, that's true! The exact opposite of what my mind tells me is a good way to put it!