Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Designed Journal

I'm finally posting my daughter's journal!
On one of my last posts I talked about how my daughter had this journal and she wanted me to decorate it with my art.
I wish I had taken a "before" picture but I forgot. Actually, I think the reason is because in the back of my mind I was a little nervous and I was wondering if I would actually do this, so I didn't bother to take a picture. This must stop! We must be confident of our work! I know. Easier said than done (I'm working on it!).
Just picture a journal made of plain, brown cardboard bound with a sort of black tape. That's the best way I can describe it.
I was thinking of various designs, and one came to mind, but I wanted something more personal. Then I remembered this picture I had of my daughter. Someone took it of her when she was at the Monterey Aquarium, up San Francisco way. This is it:

Isn't it awesome? I thought it was fantastic. I saw it on her Facebook, so I swiped it and put it with my pictures. I knew it was just perfect for what I had in mind. The journal itself is for something she is doing at her church where she is studying passages of the Bible and then writing her thoughts on them everyday. When I thought of this picture, it had that heavenly spiritual kind of look.
I loved the whole picture, but I knew I had to cut it down to this:

I knew I was going to paste it on the front, but then what was I going to do? Would I leave it alone? Would I paint over it like a collaged art journal?
I got another piece of cardboard I had hanging around and experimented with another photo. I decided to just paint over it a bit with a roller, then had fun painting around it.

On the back, I knew I wanted to paint a heart (because I love my BB!) and I was going to be incorporating Proverbs 3:6 where it says "Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He shall direct thy paths." I love that scripture, and to me it had to do with the purpose of that journal. I wanted to tear out the scripture from the Bible and put a real page on the heart, but I didn't have a Bible I felt I could cut up. I had wanted to get a Bible from the used book store that I did not have an attachment to so I wouldn't feel so bad cutting it up, but I hadn't got one yet. Then I remembered this little Bible I had first gotten when I was around 16. I used to carry it around everywhere and read it back then. It was very special to me, but I knew I hadn't used it in forever. Did I dare cut it up? At first I hesitated, but then I thought, why not? It would make it all the more special.
So I did and I pasted it on the heart with my daughter's name, so that it said, "Dionna..." and then it had the whole passage of Proverbs 3 from around one to ten, so it looked like it was talking to her personally. It looks like this:

On the front of the journal I incorporated the verse from Proverbs 3:6 so it looks like this:

Even though I was originally nervous about doing this project, I have to say I was so pleased with it! I rock, boy! ;p
I really enjoyed taking an actual photo and playing with it to get another effect. I'll have to try it more often!
Now, if you want to see an expert do this, take a look at Maria-Therese's beautiful work at afiori. Her work is gorgeous! And she is having this great give-away that you have to take a look at. Just look up the posting for Saturday, June 26, 2010. I wish I had posted this sooner because the give-away ends tomorrow morning, but since I took a while at getting this post up, you'll have to hurry up and get on over there. You late-night people should be fine.
She does beautiful photographic work. You need to get over there. You won't regret it!
Well, thanks for coming by.
I hope you are having a great week.
'Til later,
Carol B.

4 comments:

.::dionna::. said...

I absolutely LOVE my journal! Today I got to put my first journal entry in it. I took it to my friends 20/20 group and several people commented on how cool it was. THANK YOU Mama!! I ♥ you! And thank you for cutting up your special Bible. It is even more special because of that!

Carol B. said...

You're welcome, BB! I'm proud of you and love you so much!

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

hello, hello! thank you for blogging about afiori! I am writing all the names on little notes as we speak so any readers who are late, late will have to seriously hurry! :D

SewPaperPaint said...

Hey Carol! Great pages! Your work is fantastic. I've just started Journal Party Mondays on my blog Autumn's Antics and would love for you to link up! I hope to see you there.
xx,
Autumn Clark