Thursday, August 21, 2008

Soap Box to Best Buy Stores


I don't usually complain.
If I don't like something, I'm always the nice girl, saying, "that's alright," even when it's not.
This time, though, I thought, hey, I have a blog.  I can say anything I want.  Especially since I know I'm not going to abuse it, just speak my mind.
So here's my mind.
I bought a new washer and dryer from Best Buy just a year and a half ago.  Last week, my dryer went out.  Now, after a year and a half, I don't think that should happen, but the way things are nowadays, what else is new?
Last week I called to make an appointment for service.  They told me it would take a week.
What??  You expect me to wait a whole week?  I have to go a whole week without a dryer??
Sorry.
Ok.
So I waited, like a nice little girl, dishing out tons of quarters in a stinking hot laundrymat.
Then came today.
The day for service.
I was so excited, you'd think I was going on a long awaited cruise.
Hey, after a week in the laundrymat, having my own dryer back to do laundry in my own home would be like taking a long awaited cruise.
The serviceman was prompt.  He was polite.  I was hopeful.  
"Well, ma'am, it's your thermostat."
By the hesitant look on his face I was getting a little nervous.
"Oh.  Ok.  Do you have one in your truck?"
"No, ma'am.  I have to order it."
I gulped.
"Uh, how long will that take?"
"Well, it usually only takes about two or three working days."
"Oh, good," I said.  I thought you were going to tell me it was going to take a long time."
"Well, since today's already Thursday, it won't come until next week."
"Oh."
"It wont' come to us, it will be delivered to you, and then you call us, and then we'll set up an appointment to come out and put it in."
Can you believe it?
What the heck kind of service is that?
I have always bought all my appliances at Sears, but after a few problems with previous merchandise, I decided to veer off the long, beaten path that has kept my family going to Sears for generations.
I thought I was cool trying something new.
But I'll tell you, not even Sears ever did something to me like this.  It might take me about four days to get a service person out to my house, but it never took as long as a week.  And whatever it was, they always had whatever they needed to fix the problem in their truck.
Why the heck would it take a service person from Best Buy a whole week to come out to my house, and yet they are not even properly prepared to fix the problem?  
My dryer spins through the cycle, but there is no heat.
Even my son, who is not mechanically inclined, said he figured it must be the thermostat.
Even my husband, who is also not mechanically inclined (lucky me), said it was probably the thermostat.  If they guessed that was what it was, don't you think the experts who saw the report might think, "Hmm.  I bet it's the thermostat," and bring a thermostat with them, just in case?
Nowadays, after a service, companies often have someone call to survey the customer about what they thought of the service.
I usually don't bother with the survey.
This time, you bet I will.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow, what a big stinky crock that is! Thanks for the heads-up about Best Buy ~ they are definitely off my list!

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Call & make your appointment ToDay!
For a day next week.Surely the thingy will make it to your house by say, Weds. If it doesn't cancel & reschedule.Two can play this game.
~~Loved seeing your happy face with the Crafty Chica.~~Amy~~

catboxartstudio said...

Funny, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I bought my dryer from Best Buy and that was at least five years ago. I guess much hasn't changed with them, huh? I hope the outcome is a good one for you! Mine was (and it took at least a week and a half).