Thursday, April 9, 2009

God Bless Your Dreams

I was going to talk about painting today, but here in the Los Angeles area our hearts our heavy with the tragic news about the death of Angel's pitcher Nick Adenhart.
Last night the 22 year old rookie was the starting pitcher here in Anaheim, playing against the Oakland A's.  Nick pitched a perfect shutout in the first six innings.  After the game he and three other people were driving in Fullerton going through an intersection when they were broadsided by a drunk driver running a red light.  The car Nick was in belonged to a young 20 year old woman who was also killed.  Another man was killed and the fourth person is in very critical condition in the hospital and, from what I hear, fighting for his life.  The person who ran the red light took off on foot but was later caught by the police and is in custody.  It turns out this young man, who is also around 20 years old, has a history of DUI.  Don't even get me started on the issue of drunk drivers and the pain they cause.
As the mother of a 23 year old son, my heart goes out to his parents who live in Maryland. It turns out his father had come over here to watch him pitch last night.
In looking at the positive aspects of this young man's life, I heard that he had just come up from the minors.  He had struggled to pitch as well as he knew he was capable.  The wonderful thing to hear about him was that he was a young man who grew up always wanting to play in the major leagues and had fought to make his dream come true.  As tragic as the end is, at least last night, in his last game, he pitched those perfect six innings.   
It makes me think of wanting to make my dreams come true and how, in my past, in too many areas, I have given up so easily when things got hard. 
What is up with that when I continue to be so blessed with so many chances and so many people cheering me on? 
Those of us who are here today have been blessed with still another chance.
And so now I better get to work.
Carol B.

No comments: