Monday, April 13, 2009

A Painting in Progress

Hello again and I hope you all had a great Easter weekend!
I'm continuing what I started as my post on Friday.  I thought it would be fun to show a painting in progress.  I have never done that before.  I have always shown a finished product. But I love to look at other sites where artists talk about how they do their work and when they show how that work progresses, so I thought I'd try it myself.  I hope you enjoy it.
If you read my post on Friday you know that I had started to post this on Friday but I had no idea how to post pictures in the place and order that you want to post them.  Every time I tried to post more than one picture they would all post at the top and not in the order I wanted them, so I could never tell a progressive "story" with my photos.  I asked on Friday if anyone could please help me with that.  
So the first thing I have to do is acknowledge the wonderful Ms. Julie King, who quickly came to my rescue, and I mean in a snap!  So I will also tell you that you have to go visit her at her site which is located at juliekingart.blogspot.com.
You will see her wonderful artwork, photography, and very uplifting and inspirational writing. Of course, do not go there until you have seen my wonderful post first!  HA HA HA!
All kidding aside, I thank her for generosity in helping me to do this and you can go see how wonderfully she posts her pictures because she really likes to show off with how she posts all her pictures.  HA HA HA!
Ok, before she decides she will never help me again, I am going to show the photos of my work in progress.
I started off with a little idea which I sketched in my notebook.  I played with the colors.  
This is what it looked like:

I then sketched in the design on a canvas.  I did not take a photo of the initial painted sketch I did on canvas.  But the next day I worked on the face and this is what it looked like:
Since I took this photo I have worked a little more on the background and of course I still have to work more on the face and everything as a whole, but this is to show the beginning of this work.
I have to say, when I first started to paint in the face I panicked because I had not done a face in a long time and it was not at all coming out like I wanted.  But I took a deep breath and I said, "yes, Carol, you can do it," and I continued and I must say, I am very pleased with the positive direction in which things started to go.  I can't wait to continue and see how it turns out.
So, now that I have posted my pictures and wrote about them I can see that the information Julie gave me really worked!  It's so exciting when you learn how to do something that you thought you would never be able to learn.  In case you have a site and don't know how to do this, go to my post on Friday, April 9, look in the comments section, and you can read the directions Julie gave me.
So again, thank you Julie, and I now give you all permission to leave this site to go visit her!
'Til later,
Carol B.

No comments: